Serengeti: First Sighting of Wild Dogs in 20 Years

Guest Post by Uwe Skrzypczak (photographer)

Stretching by the Lakeshore

When we had followed in vain the gnu herds on Friday for over 6 hours and were about to have lunch. Our Driverguide suddenly rushed into the restaurant at Ndutu Lodge and said that a half hour ago, about 7 wild dogs had been sighted only 3 kilometers away on the way to the Lake Masek.

U-turn

Wild dogs have been regarded as extinct in the Serengeti for over 20 years, therefore we didn’t really take the information seriously at first. I said to him, ‘certainly tourists may have mixed up the Bat-eared Fox with the Wild Dog’. Nevertheless we left immediately and after 5 minutes we had found the animals infront of the camera. Probably a photographer gets such a stroke of luck only once in his life. This was one of those famous ‘once in a lifetime moment’.

The 7 wild dogs moved first at the edge of the forest. There I shot the first photos freehand from the slow-driving car with a Canon 5.6 800 mm at 1Ds III. Afterwards at the lakeshore, and from the vehicle roof with a cushion with the same optics at a E0S 7 D, which is about 1300 mm  (picture angled, almost like a spotting scope, and animals, holding the viewfinder with extreme concentration). The last photo of the running wild dogs was taken after sunset. The light conditions were modest to critical the whole time, but I think nevertheless, some use came out it.

Afterwards I drove back quite ‘high’ on luck and also completely dehydrated, because we had forgotten the beverages, and with 30 gigabyte of photo data. back to the Ndutu Lodge into the southern Serengeti.

Eventually, I successfully revived myself with a cold Tusker beer. Here are some of the photos I took:

Dong make me bite you

uwe-wild-dog5

Identify yourself

uwe-wild-dog3

U-turnI run with my dogs

Make a run for it!

Bookmark and Share

13 comments on “Serengeti: First Sighting of Wild Dogs in 20 Years

1. Christa on said:

Hallo Uwe,
    gratuliere dir zu deinem “großen Wurf”! Das nennt man die Nähnadel im Heuhafen zu finden. Weiterhin viel Gück und *safari njema*
    liebe Grüsse
    Christa

2. Charles Alexander on said:

Great work, Uwe! Congratulations. Very exciting news.

3. Rebecca, Australia on said:

Wow, that is amazing that dogs have been spotted there. Now I will be keeping an eye out on them when i visit the Serengeti in July.

By the way.. nice camera gear!

4. Brilliant news ! They could do very well there , should they get mating oppurtunities . fingers crossed .
    They look fantastic in the pics

Ron

5. Rare sighting !….we had reports last year of a wild dog pack seen in the south of Kenya in the Magadi area.

6. Michael Theys on said:

I’m so glad our “painted dogs” are back! This is awesome news for both Tanzania and the Serengeti park!

I wish I were there Uwe… the wild dog is one of the only animals that I still need to add to my personal checklist…lucky bugger…perhaps next time I’ll have to travel with you…

Keep well,

Africafreak

7. Daniela Skrzypczak on said:

Thanks Paula for the blog posting, it is fantastic that you reported on the photos of my husband in WildlifeDirekt. Thanks for your working to wild animals in Kenya.
    Best regards from Germany
    Daniela

8. Lucien Alexandre Marion on said:

Beautiful news and pictures. Must have been quite a good feeling to photograph those wild dogs in the Serengeti. Merci-Thank you for sharing with us.

9. Lynn H on said:

Promising news; hurah to the wild dogs!

10. Xavier Surinyach on said:

Wow! I’m going there next June. It will be my third time at Ndutu. I’m going from there to Grumeti river following the herds of wildebeests. As I’m a wildlife photographer, to meet with wild dogs in the Serengeti is a dream. Maybe I’ll be lucky enough for taking nice pictures of these wonderfull animals. Congratulations, you were very lucky.

11. Monique Chauvet on said:

Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures of these beautiful, unique and graceful animals.

12. olga heijtmajer on said:

~Great news they are back!! This will make all conservationists smile. Like Painted dog conservation organisation in Zimbabwe that is doing so much for these unique predators!

13. Pingback: African Wild Dog in the Serengeti | African Travel News